Where we share ideas for finding meaning in day to day life...hey, even
Peanut Butter and Jelly has more meaning with raisin eyes and a honey smile!


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hi There! and a Post for Moms

I am back to refresh my blog, recapture your fandom, and toot my little horn. Are you excited? I am. This feels right. So, how are you? Really. It's been a year and I am hoping your journey has been as amazing as you are. I have been on a faster moving train since last we met here and I have been {desparately} trying to slow down. If, for no other reason, then to improve my health. I'm still alive and kickin' and have the writing bug at present. Shall we?

Caveat: I'm calling this a Post for Moms because it serves to give kudos to something only moms can do - breastfeed. If this topic makes you uncomfortable...I do understand and will be so pleased when you check back tomorrow for a totally unrelated post. Thank you in advance for understanding and tuning in later.

Okay, so we did it! 955 days. Or 2 years, 7 months, and 10 days. Not all day, every day of course. However we count it...I am so proud that we did it! Oh, I guess I should tell you what we did first. My lil S is officially weaned from nursing. She breastfed or nursed well past the point of my intentions. I remember at 9 months feeling ready on my part to cease and desist. She had other plans. And, so we prevailed until 15 days ago. I was unexpectedly separated from her and my Big S for 3 nights and cautioned to dump any breastmilk for a couple more days after that due to emergency healthcare procedures and medications. So, no more num-nums. Cold turkey baby. And that was that. She hasn't cried for it. Barely asked about it. Lil S is, after all, a big girl now.

My back story is that I was so devastated when my attempts to nurse my firstborn failed. I was very confused, as many first time moms are, and could not understand what I had done wrong. Well, based on the beautiful, bright, darling 7 year old that my Big S has turned into...it's hard to have regrets about anything. However, I now know the wonderful bond that nursing a child creates. The hard work in the beginning is so worth it when you (finally) find what works for you and your baby. And, as they grow into toddlerhood, to be able to comfort them with something no one else can offer is priceless. In the grand scheme of things, 955 days is but a fleeting moment in the days we call them "baby". I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

So, if you are reading this and you were successful in any attempt at breastfeeding your child or children - I salute you. Kudos Mama and babe! Just know, that I can relate to the bottle as well. Support is so important in either scenario. So is flexibility, as in, there are times when it's okay to pump and bottle feed. We even transitioned to several formula feedings combined with several breast feedings per day for part of the first year. There are also times when the book needs to be thrown out and you go with your "mommy sense", watch, and listen to your baby's own special requests. Do what works, not what the experts tell you to do.

Speaking of experts, I once read that your co-sleeping child will not be sleeping in your bed when they graduate from high school. The same is true for the nursing child. I never dreamed lil S would nurse until going on 3 years old. But, when the time came to wean...we moved on with a smile.

Thanks for letting me do a little happy dance here today. I couldn't resist letting the moment pass undocumented. See you back here tomorrow for more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment