Where we share ideas for finding meaning in day to day life...hey, even
Peanut Butter and Jelly has more meaning with raisin eyes and a honey smile!


Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 4 Season of Quiet - Gentle and Strong Like Water

Like water, be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth, and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world. ~Brenda Peterson



A coffee AND a latte people. I knew it would be hard, but was amazed how fast I slipped into my caffeine habit when I wasn't paying attention. Mom always said to "pay attention"! Well, I didn't today. So what now? I'm not going to be hard on myself. This season isn't about guilt. Actually, when it comes right down to it - it's about GRACE! So, I am going to be gentle like water with my failure and try again tomorrow. My human nature will trip me up every time though. I can't rely on my own strength.

I really like today's quote, but when I read it I think "Who me? Reshape the world? I'm just trying to find some quiet time here!" Wasn't it in the quiet lab where the invention was finally a success? Wasn't it in a quiet study that the best seller was penned? Yesterday's scripture reference doesn't say "I can do SOME things through him who strengthens..." It says ALL things. That inspires me to keep going and see what my quietness produces or reshapes. I hope that encourages you if you are struggling with a habit. Maybe a caffeine habit seems small to you, but I definitely know that the quiet strength and focus I need are not found at the bottom of a venti coffee cup.

Let's enter days 4 and 5 (Saturday and Sunday) of our Season of Quiet with resolve that when we fail in our intentions, we will be gentle with ourselves and rise up again. I plan to sharpen my focus on giving up caffeine with this prayerful psalm:

As the dear pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the Living God. As with a breaking of my bones, my enemies reproach me, while they say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God. (See Psalms 42 NKJV)

See you back here on Monday if not sooner.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts and writing, Tara. I'll be praying for you as you work on kicking your caffeine addiction. Unfortunately, caffeine and nicotine are my two vices and I def need to rid myself of both of them. I look forward to reading more of your blog! love, Aunt Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support! I have seen the hold that nicotine has on several of my closest loved ones. I survived my husband's "cold turkey" quit over one weekend several years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever seen anyone go through. God bless!

    ReplyDelete