Where we share ideas for finding meaning in day to day life...hey, even
Peanut Butter and Jelly has more meaning with raisin eyes and a honey smile!


Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 5 Season of Quiet - Day of Rest

I wanted to just touch on one idea for finding quiet that is probably the most controversial, personal, and beneficial. This is also great to consider during the Lenten Season, as it is not something we give up but actually add to our lives. It's not a new concept, yet it seems to be going the way of the dinosaur in our busy world.

A day of rest, or Sabbath, from what we do the other 6 days of the week forces us to slow down, be still, enjoy quiet moments. Now, I did this for years growing up, but didn't fully appreciate it until I was an adult. I have only recently, in the past 6 months or so, tried to incorporate a day of rest back into my life. Right now, my day of rest mostly consists of worshipping my God , enjoying the outdoors, making family memories, and meditating. I am really enjoying adding this quiet time by having a day of rest, even though a mother's work is never really done.

I don't really want to elaborate much more on the topic of a day of rest, because there have been lots of books written about it and even religions built around it. My thoughts here seek to share and not stump. So, I just encourage you to consider how incorporating a day of rest (whatever that means to you) might bring some quiet into your life.

Preview for Day 6 in case you want to get started early: The Listening Walk

"It is fun to go on a Listening Walk.

You do not have to go far.

You can walk around the block and listen.

You can walk around your yard and listen."

(from "The Listening Walk" by Paul Showers)

Quick note to thank my new blog followers, those who post comments, and those who are just hanging out to see what I'm up to here at Life Beyond PBJ. Your support is encouraging! In case you are wondering, I did a little better today with caffeine (no coffee or latte)! I did have to ask my husband to support me because sometimes when he offers to bring home coffee or Diet Coke, he thinks when I say "no" that I really mean "yes".

No comments:

Post a Comment