Where we share ideas for finding meaning in day to day life...hey, even
Peanut Butter and Jelly has more meaning with raisin eyes and a honey smile!


Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 33 Season of Quiet - Fasting and Consecration

Thank you for allowing me a break from posting updates this past week. I really enjoyed Spring Break (and celebrating another year of life also)!

We are nearing the end of this theme of a Season of Quiet as we approach Palm Sunday a week from today. I will be fasting for the next seven days and renewing my covenant commitment to Jesus Christ, whose life we celebrate on Resurrection Sunday or Easter.

Blow the trumpet in Zion, declare a holy fast, call a sacred assembly. Gather the people, consecrate the assembly.Joel 2:15-16 NIV


During the days of the prophet Joel, a great swarm of locusts brought devastation to the nation. The quote above was Joel's shout to the people, declaring a return to the LORD with all their hearts. Now is the time for us to return to a right relationship with God.

My spiritual leader, who goes by the name Pastor Jeff, has called our church to a time of fasting and prayer. "Fasting is one of the most neglected of all spiritual disciplines in the church today. Throughout the Bible, fasting was a way that intensified one's walk with God and made God's people more in tune with His voice."

I have no dietary or medical restrictions, but I am choosing the partial fast that is set forth in Daniel chapter 10. I will abstain from eating meats, sweets, breads, pastas, and all liquids except water until after worship next Sunday. As you know from my post about caffeine, this will be a challenge and be a true sacrifice!

I will also be fasting from Facebook and this blog, so look for the next Life Beyond PBJ post to come on the afternoon of Palm Sunday as we start the holy week leading up to Easter. I hope to have a post each day next week highlighting my personal testimony and what this Season of Quiet has taught me, how it has changed my heart about certain areas of my life.

I challenge you to do one sacrificial thing this week that answers God's call, "Return to Me." Heal your marriage, your family, your church, your city. Prepare to enter His presence on Easter Sunday. Peace be with you in this Season of Quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment