Where we share ideas for finding meaning in day to day life...hey, even
Peanut Butter and Jelly has more meaning with raisin eyes and a honey smile!


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 42 Season of Quiet - It All Comes Down to Grace

I was given a large nail at church on Sunday. I'm turning it over in my hands and I start imagining Jesus on the cross - one nail-pierced hand in God's hand and the other reaching out to me. Bringing us together. So I could experience - so you could experience - true life.

Now that I've shared my testimony and my Season of Quiet intentions, you may be surprised by this little newsflash:
I'm still a sinner. *Gasp* I failed over and over in my good intentions these past 40 days. I'm still addicted to caffeine. I still sometimes hit the snooze button in lieu of my quiet time with God. I frequently lose my temper and yell at my kids. The list goes on. Yep, every day I fall in various aspects of my Christian walk. I keep striving to be more like Him, but it's only by His grace that I can do anything. That's the difference in my former sinful self and my new life in Christ - GRACE!

God, who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain but without stain. ~C.S. Lewis


Without stain. This was difficult for me to accept at first - my old tradition programmed me to believe that just one sin could keep me from heaven. Talk about pressure for perfection. Now, I confess, I repent, I pray for strength, and I pick myself up and move on! There has only been one perfect man to ever walk the earth. He took the death penalty for my mistakes and carried it up on beaten and bloody shoulders. He pushed it up a hill. He cried out in agony as my sin and your sin and every sin since Eve ate the apple was driven into His hands and feet, pierced through His side, pressed down upon Him and crushed Him. He who was without stain was tortured, bled, and died so that I could truly live. Why? Because God loves us that much and gives us that much grace.

What is grace? Grace is God's unmerited favor. It is kindness from God we don't deserve. There is nothing we have done, nor can ever do to earn this favor. It is a gift from God. Grace is divine assistance given to humans for their regeneration (rebirth) or sanctification. Grace reminds me of the bumper sticker I love that reads: "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven"!

Free gift? Debts paid in full? What a burden lifted!

I was at the top of my game in 2008. I had it all together, or so I thought. Big time job, new big SUV, etc. That's right, just one year before the perfect storm I told you about in my testimony. What I've learned is that nothing I could hope for in this world can give me peace and security. Governments will fall, material wealth fades. The world tells us we need to be more, have more, do more. We are needy, but true life is not promised us in anything of this world.

Consider this verse, emphasis mine:

1 Timothy 6:17-19 - Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.


One out of one of us is going to die. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I'm going to be with Jesus when I die. Do you? Today we have a choice. There will come a day, when there is no longer a choice. If you are interested in finding out how to have more joy and grace in this life and life everlasting when you die, I encourage you to view this presentation and make your commitment today:

http://www.hutchcraft.com/yours-for-life/presentation/alpha

No comments:

Post a Comment