Where we share ideas for finding meaning in day to day life...hey, even
Peanut Butter and Jelly has more meaning with raisin eyes and a honey smile!


Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 26 Season of Quiet - God's House Isn't Quiet

My church family loves to sing. In fact, we are musically blessed in a variety of instruments. From the choir, to the Praise and Worship band, to the member in the pew...if you want a concert on the Lord's Day, you just come visit my church. I love it!

Sometimes I close my eyes and just listen. It's far from silent, but I can sit still in that pew and imagine that I'm in a much quieter place than I could find here on earth. A place where this music is not just something that fills the air once per week, but every minute of every day. It's almost impossible not to be spiritually moved by the noise of Godly praise.

Do I go to God's House to find quiet? Not in the external sense. However, Sabbath worship and fellowship help me re-focus and start my week out on a peaceful note.

I've been in some churches where it is so quiet, you wonder if the congregation is there for worship or a funeral. I appreciate the joyful lifting up of voice and hands in our church. It reminds me that I serve a living God, unlike many religions. And He is not just in heaven, but right here with us!

Going to church is one of my most anticipated and joyful times of the week. Sharing the Word in study with the Body of Christ is the culmination of my daily quiet time.

I look forward to worshipping God for eternity in his REAL house. I can't help but think of those words from the Christmas story:

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

Luke 2:13-14 NIV

I hope you find some quiet time to tune into God this week. Maybe you do that by cranking the volume on some inspirational music. I totally get that! Just carve out some time for silent meditation as well. That's the "balance" knob on the stereo of our Season of Quiet.

It's Spring Break week here, so I probably won't be posting for a few days. I hope the signs of new growth are popping up outside as well as inside where you are. We are over half way through Lent, which means the holiday we call Easter is coming! I hope you are looking forward to that and find new meaning in Resurrection Sunday. I'll leave you with the following quote for meditation. Enjoy!

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself."
— C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity)

No comments:

Post a Comment